- Turn electricity off at the main service box (circuit breaker/box) or turn the thermostat to the pilot position for gas heaters.
- At the top of the water heater turn off the cold water supply to the water heater.
- Disconnect the flex hose that's connected to the top of the hot water heater to relieve water pressure in the supply line and tank.
- Connect a garden hose to drain valve located on the bottom of the water heater. Open the drain valve and let the water heater drain completely then close the drain valve.
- Note: Keep the end of the hose away from grass, flowers, thirsty people. Locate a floor drain and place it close to that.
- After the tank has drained completely, re-fill it about half full and drain it one more time.
- Disconnect the garden hose and re-connect the top flex hose.
- Congratulations, you just flushed your hot water heater.