PlumbingMart is your top choice for plumbing related information and education

Click on any letter of the term you would like to find

R & D:
Reamed and Drifted. Pipe commonly used in water wells having a special, heavy-duty coupling and a guaranteed I. D. clearance.

Rail Fittings:
Fittings with setscrews rather than threads, which hold pipes used for hand railings. Available in various sizes and configurations to suit a number of applications. Not used for plumbing or conduit.

Rated Storage Volume:
Quantity of water stored in a tank.

Raw Water:
Water supplied to the plant before any treatment.

A grinding tool used to level or remove burrs from valve seats in faucets so that the valve stem will fit properly.

Shallow basin used to catch and contain water in the bottom of a showering space.

Recessed Tub:
A tub that has a decorative finish on one side only and is surrounded by three walls.

Recirculating Harness:
PVC tubing setup that circulates water throughout a whirlpool system, delivering water to the jets.

The amount of water in gallons that can be heated in one hour (gph).

Recovery Capacity:
The amount of water in gallons per hour raised 100 degrees F at a given thermal efficiency and BTU per hour input.

Red Water:
Water which has a reddish or brownish appearance due to the presence of precipitated iron and/or iron bacteria.

Term referring to the reduction-oxidization potential of water. Redox tells how easily chemical reactions are taking place in a tank. A high redox value is better than a low one.

A fitting that connects pipes of different sizes together.

Reed Switch:
A serviceable, magnetic sensing switch that triggers the water flow to stop when the neck jet pillow (with magnet) is removed from the whirlpool.

Refill Tube:
Outlet of water control. It is what the water goes through to fill the tank.

Reflective Glass:
Glass that bounces back at least some of the light that strikes it.

Relief Valve:
A valve that opens to relieve excess temperature.

Relief Vent:
An extra vent added to a drain line or vent stack to help keep the air pressure in the drainage system balanced with the outside atmosphere. Relief vents keep the traps from losing their trap seal or from air-locking. Required when drainage stacks extend 10 or more stories above a building drain. They are also required when combination waste and vent systems are used for multiple shower or floor drains, floor sinks, or similar applications where the fixtures are not located near enough to walls to allow for conventional type venting.

Repair Clamp:
Sleeve type clamp used to repair a split pipe, held in place by bolt.

Water heaters for single family dwellings.

Residual Chlorine:
Chlorine remaining in treated water after a specified period of contact time to provide continued protection throughout a distribution system; the difference between the total chlorine added, and that consumed by the oxidizable matter.

Return Circulation System:
Tempered water from or near the point of usage which eliminates waste of hot water used for long runs and adds storage to the system.

Pipe installed specifically to vent a fixture trap. Connects with the vent system above the fixture.

Reverse Osmosis:
A water treatment method whereby water is forced through a semi permeable membrane which filters out impurities.

Reverse Trap Water Closet:
A water closet having a siphonic trapway at the rear of the bowl, and integral flushing rim and jet. Min. dimensions are 9" x 8" water spot and 1-1/2" ball pass.

Recovery Factor - Rating based on the efficiency of the product which is input required to raise 1 gallon of water 1 degree Fahrenheit.

Right Hand.

Rich Mixture:
A mixture of gas and air containing too much fuel or too little air for complete combustion of the gas.

Rigid Pipe:
Pipe designed to transmit the backfill load to the foundation beneath the pipe. rigid pipe must be supported on the bottom portion of the pipe.

The inside edge of the perimeter of a toilet bowl. The lower portion of a toilet seat. The edge of a sink or lavatory.

Rim Holes:
A series of small holes in the underside of a toilet rim, around the circumference of the bowl. Incoming water flows down into the bowl through these holes, creating a rinse effect or wash over the entire inner surface of the bowl.

A vertical metal or plastic tube or assembly that connects a faucet to the water supply stop valve. Usually made of copper.

Roller Hanger:
A pipe hanger similar to a clevis hanger except that the yoke bolts to a roller rod instead of a metal strap. The roller rod supports the pipe and permits horizontal movement.

Roman Tub Set:
Term used to describe a faucet that has the water volume controls, hot and cold, mounted on the deck of a bathtub or deck surrounding a bathtub, and not mounted on the wall. Sometimes referred to as a deck-mount tub faucet.

Roman Spout:
Extra long spout that is mounted to the deck or the wall adjacent to a bathtub allowing water to flow beyond the rim of the bathtub.

Roof Drain:
A drain installed at the low spot in a roof that channels water into a drainpipe to prevent pooling.

Roof Flashing:
Sheet metal installed at any break in a shingled roofline to prevent leaks. Also around sewer vents, flue pipes.

Root Valve:
A multi-port valve commonly used on gauges or switches in high pressure, high temperature, or under otherwise severe process conditions. Typically built with non-rotating and non-threaded stems.

Installation of the drain, waste, vent, and supply lines in a structure to the proposed location of each fixture.

Rough-In Dimensions:
The distance from a finished wall or floor to the center of the waste or supply opening or mounting holes on a plumbing fixture.

Round Front Bowl:
Standard shape of the front of a toilet bowl.

A complete or secondary section of pipe that extends from supply to fixture or drain to stack.

Running Trap:
An in-line trap mounted in a horizontal drainpipe, where the inlet and outlet are parallel.

Not finding what you are looking for? Send us a suggestion and let us know what term you are looking for.

Copyright © 2021